Apparo’s Tech Therapy helps drive nonprofit technology transformation so Family Promise of South Sarasota County can help more families overcome housing crises.
Family Promise of South Sarasota County provides housing support and comprehensive services to families in South Sarasota County experiencing a housing crisis, helping them move towards lasting self-sufficiency.
When Jennifer Fagenbaum, Executive Director, knew she needed support to overcome technology struggles that were keeping Family Promise from doing their best work, she reached out to Apparo’s Stephanie McKee and began her Tech Therapy journey.
Jennifer explains, “We had daily moments of struggle and stress when it came to our technology. We had long waits for documents to open and I often had to restart my computer several times before I could get it to work. We were wasting so much time and also money.”
Wasted time and money were slowing down Florida-based nonprofit from fulfilling their mission to their best ability.
Jennifer shared an overview of how their technology situation prior to working with Apparo was wasting them time:
- Slow loading software/hardware – “I had a case manager who waited a minute and a half for Word documents to open and sometimes I needed to restart my computer 3 times before it would cooperate and open a program.”
- Need to move data across multiple platforms
- Need for staff to learn multiple systems before getting up to speed on their jobs
- Wait for managed service provider to load new software on to their computers
She also explained that they were wasting money on multiple platforms that had redundant capabilities and by not taking advantage of nonprofit pricing when available.
The nonprofit has undergone a technology transformation that allows them to do more to improve lives of those experiencing homelessness.
Apparo Tech Therapy, Family Promise:
- connected to a new managed service provider for higher quality support and also consolidation of software to eliminate unnecessary programs
- learned of all appropriate nonprofit discounts available via TechSoup
- sourced new, affordable laptops with the right software and capabilities for their staff
They are now saving $1,800 a year and significant time. Freed time has also allowed for increased focus on fundraising, which, when combined with lower expenses, has resulted in a 10% overall budget increase.
Most importantly, they are able to deliver enhanced service to families experiencing a housing crisis.
The elimination of data entry requirements across multiple systems freed the time of a full time staff member, allowing the launch of a new food and household supplies pantry serving 40 families a month. This pantry helps stretch the limited budgets of those working to overcome a housing crisis by providing not only food, but also household cleaning supplies not typically available via food stamp programs. Jennifer explains, “Before working with Apparo, we had the donations of supplies, but no capacity to run a proper pantry program. Now we can fulfill these needs and our clients are so appreciative.”
Case managers are able to provide more holistic service:
- Can now connect with other agencies needed for supplemental services via Zoom
- Have more time due to streamlined systems and improved technology
Jennifer shares two additional key benefits:
- Increased data security
- Increased employee job satisfaction
In closing, Jennifer shares her appreciation, “Thanks to our work with Apparo, our technology is updated and our staff of six is 50% more efficient. We have more time to serve the community.”