Girl Scouts, Hornets’ Nest Council experienced nearly 30% fundraising growth.
We recently checked in with Angela Woods, Executive Director of Girl Scouts, Hornets’ Nest Council to learn about the impact of their 2014 Community Impact Project, delivered by Jabian, and recent Tech Therapy with Apparo.
Angela explains, “Before we worked with Apparo, our volunteers and clients, girls and their families, were light years ahead of where we were when it came to technology. Jabian’s assessment made us realize that we were using technology as a tool, but it was not integrated into an overall strategy. We were dealing with many operational inefficiencies:
- We were stuck to our desks because we were using desktops. We needed to be out the community with our girls and families and we couldn’t.
- Data was a nightmare to upload, and we’d lose internet access mid-process.
- We were working with mismatched equipment and had no inventory tracking system.
- Staff had better technology at home and often preferred to work on it.
- Our fund development software was not online, was just on one person’s computer.
Jabian helped us align our use of technology to our strategic priorities. Their work gave us credibility when we went to our Board to ask for an investment in technology, which we received. Then we were able to turn to Apparo for additional support to help make it happen. We had the budget but we needed more guidance on how to use it, which we received from Stephanie McKee through Apparo’s Tech Therapy program.”
GSHNC has addressed all of the items of concern in Jabian’s heat map and are now level set on the operations side. Angela shared two key highlights:
- “We’ve implemented fundraising platform Razor’s Edge, which helped us clean up our data and improve our ability to cultivate and steward, including with our corporate relationships. We are now better at segmenting and strategizing. Our fundraising increased nearly 30% from 2017 to 2018.”
- “We’ve addressed our internet speed/connection problems. We are more savvy around mobile solutions and everyone has a laptop. Now our staff has the right tools and can use their time more wisely. They feel heard because we addressed their needs.”