Volunteer: Desmond Gibson, working independently | Sponsor: Coca Cola Consolidated, Inc.
Communities in Schools needed assistance with the identification of a software tool that would allow them to more efficiently manage and track their equipment inventory. They are in charge of ordering all the supplies (computers, printers, hardware, paper, etc.) and furniture needed by staff across locations, ranging from the central office to any of 87+ CMS sites. Before this Community Impact Project started, this was managed through Excel spreadsheets.
To improve workflow, they wanted to reduce the manual effort it took to manage and keep the spreadsheets updated, as well as have a better record and tracking of all inventory. Additionally, they wanted a tool that would allow them to tag inventory quickly with a bar code/scanner.
Volunteer Desmond Gibson stepped in to help Communities in Schools with the following:
- Documentation and prioritization of inventory software/tool requirements
- Marketplace research to determine software tools available that meet CIS’s requirements
- Set up and facilitation of demos by software vendors
- Recommendation on best solution to implement
After reviewing the organization’s current business processes, creating a list of, and prioritizing, their software capabilities requirements, and reviewing three platforms, Gibson and the Communities in Schools team found the perfect solution – Asset Panda.
This Community Impact Project is expected to positively impact Communities in Schools in three ways.
- Increase operating efficiencies by moving from multiple very manual spreadsheets to an automated tool
- Decrease expenses by lowering duplication in purchasing and replacement inventory. The organization will also gain a strong understanding where all inventory is at all times
- Decrease risk by having a system to easily identify hardware requiring upgrade or update
Fifty-one volunteer hours went into this project, equating to $7,650 in total value delivered. That number is 18 times the amount invested.
Nonprofit Agency Overview
The mission of Communities in Schools (CIS) is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
An affiliate of the national Communities in Schools network, CIS of Charlotte-Mecklenburg serves 6,000+ students who have some of the greatest needs but the fewest resources in selected Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. Through school-based Site Coordinators, CIS connects students and their families to the relationships and resources they need to be successful in school and beyond. Please join us in our mission to help all students graduate from high school and be prepared for college, careers, and life.
A huge thank you to Desmond Gibson for offering your time and talents, and to Coca Cola Consolidated, Inc. for sponsoring this project.